The (Steam) Engine

The Engine pub in the High Street was first licensed on 10 July 1867, and the licensee was Mr Zachariah Gunn (b Denford). Mr Gunn remained landlord of the premises until July 1915 when Mr Lewis Coe took over. The pub was primarily an ironworkers pub and was frequented by many of the quarry and furnace men who lived in that part of the village.

There was a small "club room" and this was used by some of the village organisations such as "Good Intent, Sickness and Dividend Club" and, the Football Club. Following closure in the 1950's the property became a domestic house.

The building originally had two "front" doors facing the pavement and no bay windows. Photographic evidence suggests the building received a face lift by the late 1940s.

Following closure of the licensed premises the property became a domestic dwelling until the 1980's, Green's of Thrapston converted the premises to a shop / general store, shortly after also taking on the Post Office duties. In 2004 the business was taken over by Mr S Patel who remained owner until autumn 2017.

Mr Coe retired to a bungalow which he'd had built in Mill Road in the corner of a field known locally during the latter part of the 20th century known as "Coe's Field". This field was developed in 2006 when the estate comprising Paddock Road and Windmill Close was constructed.


From 1867    Zachariah Gunn

From 1915    Lewis Coe

Mr Hawkins was the only other landlord but dates of his tenure are not known.


The Engine in the News

Northampton Mercury 2 January 1886

Good Intent Club – The annual supper of this club was held at the Engine Inn, Woodford on Tuesday night last. A capital spread was prepared by the host , Mr Zachariah Gunn and between 40 and 50 members with their friends sat down. Mr W H Jervis took the chair, Mr W Tiney the vice chair, and there was also present Messrs John Hudson (Twywell), Joseph Bales (Woodford) etc. After supper Mr Joseph Tiney read out the annual report. A dividend of 9s per member was declared and the report was unanimously passed. The evening afterwards was spent in a convivial manner songs being given by Messrs Chas Hall, John Tiney, Wright Mastin, Arthur Woodhams, John Frost, Zachariah Gunn, T W Barnes, Mr James Tiney finishing off with the song “A fine old English Gentleman”.

Northampton Mercury 16 September 1898

On Saturday a meeting of the St Marys Football Club was held at the Engine Inn for the purpose of electing Officers, the following being chosen. Captain C Kirton, secretary Fred Short, Treasurer Zachariah Gunn.

Northampton Mercury 31 March 1899

The anniversary of the helping Hand Club was held in the Engine Inn on Monday, when 30 members sat down to a beautiful dinner provided by the hostess (Mrs Gunn) After dinner a dividend of 2s 6d was declared.

This photo of the Steam Engine Pub was taken between the two world wars and shows the building prior to the installation of the bay windows, recently removed.There were two doors to the premises and a front garden with perimeter hedging.